Friday, April 29, 2011

Fess Up Friday - Star Wars Metaphors and Uncle Buck

Photobucket


I am a little behind since I missed last "Fess Up Friday", but I think I can get you all caught up today:

I will start with the most recent unless I think of something else I've done since then:
  • Today my only "all day" school child John was late. I called the office to tell them he was tardy and told the secretary his excuse was me, I just couldn't get it together this morning. He also went without any of his homework complete and not even a glance at his spelling words for his test today. What can I say, except it's been a rough week.
  • I decided with a friend to go off of sugar for two weeks. Starting the day after Easter and ending on Mother's day. We have to do it together because it is only the knowledge that she is suffering along with me that keeps me from caving! She agrees.
  • Needless to say that with the sugar detox happening in my system my personality has been a little intense. I did something I promised myself I would never do. I freaked out over spilled milk. Granted the kids were goofing around at the dinner table, but honestly, it was still only spilled milk. I am pretty sure my head made at least one if not two full revolutions WHILE I was mentally standing outside myself going "really? are you nuts? This is SO not worth freaking out about!" But... that didn't seem to help me reign in the crazy lady freaked out about spilled milk. About 10 min later I sat down with them and repented. I told them mommy sinned and asked them to forgive me. I apologized for scaring them. They forgave me, again. Making mistakes in parenting and repentance continue to be consistently linked in my life... better get used to it I suppose.
  • I have often wondered if my three year old is more mature than I when there is a "disruption in the Force."
  • I find myself consistently struggling to engage in dialog that does not include a Star Wars metaphor - even to adults.
  • True Jedi's obey their mothers - at least that is what I tell my little Jedi knights.
  • Every time I feel myself getting a little "overboard" I remember this scene from Uncle Buck (its not the greatest quality recording but the speech is great):


this really helps me keep from going ballistic when I expect more out of my children then what is reasonable. I want "silly-hearts" free to be who they are, not automatons who do whatever I say. Honest.

  • I let my kids eat food they drop on the floor under the table ONLY if it is within 48hrs since I mopped and within 24 since I swept - it builds their immune systems right? Not that I actually keep track of it on the calendar! :)
I have several more but I think that is enough for today, after all, Friday will come around next week too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA.... two full revolutions while standing outside your body. I have so been there done that this week. I seriously can be in the middle of a total fit while calmly thinking in my head "This is ridiculous. I'm acting insane." Why is that?!

I'm so proud of you for going off sugar. That is really REALLY hard to do. You'll have to let me know at what point the cravings cease, because I'm probably going to have to join you soon :(

Thanks SO much for linking up with me today!

Who am I?

My photo
I have been married to my best friend for over 29 years and our children are 16, 15 and 12 years old. I have struggled with infertility, suffered the loss of a baby by miscarriage, and endured multiple career paths. I have experienced a crisis of faith that shook me to the core and lost dear friends to tragic death. I have a personal relationship with Jesus which is essential to surviving and even thriving in my circumstances. I hope you will be blessed by my heart and words. Thank you for being here..