Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fat thoughts while fasting (say that 10 times fast!)

I am currently focusing on a full cleanse of my body and mind. These are a few things that have occurred to me... It is pretty REAL, so beware...
It is meant to be funny, serious, and honest. Think of it as dictionary definitions (sort of). I pray you will be blessed for taking the time to read it and that the Lord will use it for His glory.

Resistance – what happens when there is something you don’t want to do, you waste a bunch of energy not doing it and then give in anyway.

Why am I so attached to food? How disgusting. I actually don’t like it much. But apparently I do. Maybe I just resent it? Can you resent an object? Hm... when I fast, like today – all I can think about is food and will I be different tomorrow because I starved today?

Pressing in – Diving deep into Christ knowing that the alternative would be disastrous.

Desperation – wanting so badly to change and yet wondering if I am desperate enough this time for it to last.

Fear – looking good, looking bad, being run by food or lack of it, annoyed by its side effects, transient, random, and wasting my energy on things that I can’t control.

Resentment- looking in the mirror feeling frustrated that I have to deal with this issue – and yet prevailing wisdom is “thank God it’s just fat and not some other scary issue!”

Fat – the presence of extra “medication” that works against one’s well being, mind set, and physical abilities. Acts as a hindrance to playing on slides and swings with your children and being able to make love in confined spaces.

Crazy – the act of continually expecting change without the pain of accomplishing it.

Power – nothing a human possesses for any length of time. Something only God possesses ALL the time.

Grace – what you say before you eat whatever you want and what you pray will keep you from reaping all the Ding Dongs you have sown.

Hungry – the point at which your body decides to grumble along with you while you are fasting. A place your spirit must be to motivate change.

Happy – Knowing that you know that you know that tomorrow will be a better day because God’s mercies are new every morning!

Need – a fluid term that can be swayed by hormones, mood, desires, cravings, and comfort level. The real life, no kidding, recognition that you want God to take over because you are making a wreck of things yourself.

Thorn - the place in your life that is a constant ache designed by God to draw you into Him on your knees so you don't get too full of yourself and think you don't need Him. This is not His form of torture! Only a consistent reminder that only His Grace is sufficient (2Cor 12:9), only His mercies are new (Lam 3:22-23), and only He can restore, heal, and reconcile all things (Col 1:19-20).

Love - the Cross. Designed by God for us to bring freedom to be intimately His in relationship and lead by Him in our actions.

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow! Praise Him all creatures here, below! Praise Him above ye heavenly host! Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! Amen!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

:) Thanks for sharing. I love how you set this one up with 'definitions'-too neat.

Who am I?

My photo
I have been married to my best friend for over 29 years and our children are 16, 15 and 12 years old. I have struggled with infertility, suffered the loss of a baby by miscarriage, and endured multiple career paths. I have experienced a crisis of faith that shook me to the core and lost dear friends to tragic death. I have a personal relationship with Jesus which is essential to surviving and even thriving in my circumstances. I hope you will be blessed by my heart and words. Thank you for being here..